Learning how to work a crochet braid isn’t just great for hairstyles, it’s amazing to do with yarn too! Using just a row of simple long crochet stitches and a twist at the beginning, you can create the most beautiful texture to add to your crochet.
Today, I’m excited to teach you how to work a crochet braid stitch in this easy step by step and video tutorial too. It is a technique that I used recently in my Braided Blanket Crochet Ruana pattern which you can find for free on the blog.
About the Crochet Braid Stitch Tutorial
When I started to learn to crochet I watched countless hours of crochet tutorials and was amazed at how much I picked up from them. I recently decided to start filming some tutorials to accompany my patterns and am so glad as I had forgotten how useful they are!
The crochet braid stitch looks similar to a cable stitch and is most definitely easier than it looks, as long as you can crochet a row of long stitches you are almost there. Just add a twist in the first stitch and the rest slot in place so easily. Let me show you how to do it in this easy crochet braid tutorial.
See the video >>> Watch the video tutorial or keep scrolling for step by step details.
Pin it for later >>> Save this pin to your Pinterest crochet board
Braided Blanket Crochet Ruana Pattern
If you’d like to skip ahead and find the pattern that I used this technique for then you can find it here:
Yarn and Materials
For the video tutorial I used West Yorkshire Spinners ReTreat yarn which is 100% wool, 140m(153yds)/100g and so lovely to work with. It’s perfect for chunky homeware that you wanted to feel soft and luxurious too.
For the crochet ruana I used Rowan Kid Classic which is a fabulous Aran weight yarn. A great alternative is Wonderfluff by WeCrochet, they both have a wonderful feel to them and create beautiful fabric.
- Begin by working a row of US triple treble crochet stitches (full details of this in the video).
- Rotate your work so that the side of the row is facing you and select the first stitch.
- Using your fingers, twist the stitch so that it is crossed over itself and creates a loop at the top.
- Keeping the twist in place, insert your hok through the loop.
- Pull the next stitch through the loop you created from the stitch and tighten to secure the braid.
- Continue along the row by pulling the next stitch through the loop on your hook and so on.
- Finish the row by pulling the last stitch through the loop on your hook.
- Turn your work over and sew the last loop onto the back of your work to secure the entire crochet braid.
Find the full video tutorial here: Crochet Braid Stitch Video Tutorial
Other Crochet Tutorials
I have a number of other crochet tutorials you might enjoy:
Join HanJan and Share Your Crochet!
I’d love to stay connected with you so please do sign up for my subscriber list if you’d like to.
Looking forward to hearing from you and sending you your free gift!
Thank you so much for being here to share in my free crochet patterns and supporting my blog. It’s such an honour to be able to create and share my craft with you.
I’d love to see your finished crochet projects and so please share them with me in one (or all!) of the following ways –